12826847

I had an accident in a supermarket and incurred some injury.

Customer Question

I had an accident in a supermarket and incurred some injury. Is it worth talking to the store direct about compensation or should I use a lawyer. I don't want to prejudice my case if I go via a lawyer by talking to them direct

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just had an operation on my wrist to repair ligaments with a possibility of another operation in a year if the wrist pain hasn't settled by then

What happened in the accident and who is to blame please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I slipped on some 'flower waste' that was left on the floor in the supermarket at 7.10am. I fell onto both wrists and broke my Ipad. They have replaced this. The store had opened at 7am and the floor had not been cleaned. The cleaner was arriving to the area just as I slipped. The manager who came to my aid pointed out to me that I had slipped on some 'green gunge' probably from the flowers according to him.

From what you have said, the supermarket is in breach of the provisions of the Occupiers Liability Act for failing to keep lawful visitors safe from harm.

As a result of the breach of the statutory provision under the Act you have suffered loss. The loss is reasonably foreseeable and therefore you are entitled to damages. Some supermarkets settle these issues really quickly and others will defend them.

I think you have more chance of getting what you are entitled to if you use a solicitor and if you do it yourself.

You are entitled to damages in respect of the injury, any expenses you have incurred such as travelling etc and also time off work.

Any solicitor that deals with personal injury matters on a no win no fee basis is likely to take this on for you. You will get 100% of the compensation and their costs will be paid by the supermarket or the supermarket insurance Company.

I do not think that you have anything to gain by doing it yourself and potentially quite a lot to lose.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Jo, much appreciated. I did contact 2 'no win no fee' solicitors but both said they will take up to 25% of the 'win' but nil charge if I lose, is that normal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive spoken to 2 'no win no fee' solictors both say they will charge up to 25% of the 'win' but nil charge if lost and it will be taken out of my total compensation..is this correct

No it is not.

In fact, here is one such firm of solicitors who quite clearly state "no fees at any stage of your claim-win or lose,"

http://www.no-win-no-fee-solicitors.co.uk/

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/