I obtained a car insurance policy with esure . I had 2 years

I obtained a car insurance policy with esure . I had 2 years NCD and 2yrs 3 months on length of my license. I used a price comparison site
to get the insurance quote. I accidentally entered 3 years as my length of license . It was a human error mistake from my side.
After i got the policy i submitted proof of NCD and copies of license (front and back) and paper part (front and back). I got a letter and email telling that my policy has been
cancelled with 7 days notice. They have told this is a data misrepresentation .I tried explaining to them the human error and i havent suppressed any information
as my license give them the exact details. They did not agree but still cancelled my policy. I had paid them in full for the entire year.

Will this amount to decline of policy ?
In most of price comparison site there is a question 'Was your policy cancelled or declined - Yes/no' what should i answer for this ?
If i have to answer yes to the above question for how many years should i be doing so?
My premium has more than doubled since then with other providers who consider i have committed a fraud and fall under high risk category
Should i be paying higher premium for a innicent error that i have committed?

Is there a legal way to explain my case and get out of whatever fraud registry they have possibly reported me against?

Note: post this episode i kept calling each insurance company and one company has accepted me without any change of premium even after i explained them my cancelled policy
reason. They have made a note of this in their records.

But still i will have to face this dreaded question of 'Was your policy cancelled or declined' question for life.

Please suggest me a solution

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I am based in Manchester, have asked my questions in detail above, Please go through them and suggest me a solution. If you have questions still i am happy to answer them.

I am afraid that what you have suffered is extremely common with insurance companies who will use any excuse to cancel the policy and refund you a tiny amount of the premium, if anything at all.

You will now find that because you are not a "standard" type risk your premium on any price comparison website may be loaded and therefore you are faced with speaking to someone, as you will have already found.

As you quite rightly say, this was an innocent oversight and I cannot see that the insurance company have been disadvantaged whether you have your license for two years three months or three years.

However, meanwhile, the question on most insurance companies proposal is "have you ever had a policy cancelled" to which the answer must be yes. Some ask if anyone has had a policy cancelled in the last five years and obviously that will eventually become a "no" answer

There is no fraud registry as such, although insurance companies to exchange information. You may not disclose this for a long, long time but it will come out in all probability, if ever you have a claim and then they would refuse to pay for the claim so it is simply not worth doing.

What I would do, however, is make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman of the heavy-handed tactics whereby the insurance company cancelled the policy and explain exactly what your concern is about having to disclose this ad infinitum.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice