12826847

my ex parnter has been remanded, and he paid the mortgage,

my ex parnter has been remanded, and he paid the mortgage, I am unable to meet the payments as we have only two years left on the mortgage, but can afford half the amount, because of arrears of 1 month . What help may I get and how can I resolve this as I have a sever disabled child , and the house has been adepted for him

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How did he come to be remanded?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He smuggled cocaine into the country,,, house is safe from police claiming his half, He is looking at 10 years,, we have been apart for 4 years

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was arrested and remained for bringing cocaine into the country

Obviously your former partner is not liable for the mortgage and anyway if he is prison then he cannot pay it even if he were.

The lender is unlikely to pursue him even if the house is in joint names for that reason. Unfortunately the lender is more likley to pursue you. It is imperative that you pay what you can.

Unfortunately, the mortgage lender are going to want this resolved in the long term, as they will not let you continue to pay 50% indefinitely but its better than nothing. It does take them a very long time to repossess.

If you receive certain means tested benefits then you may well be eligible for mortgage relief. The benefits system will not pay the repayments on your mortgage but it often will cover your interest which the mortgage company will probably accept.

If you do not receive those benefits then you are in difficulty I'm afraid.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

normally how long will it take for repossisson as It would take 4 years to finish payments so they may be willing rather, you have told me what I thought and knew already so now will try talking to them,,, thank you very much.

It depends how keen the mortgage company are. Often it can take up to a year. They are more aggressive than formerly but its still pretty slow.