tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I want to buy a car but retain ownership, but let another person

I want to buy a car but retain ownership, but let another person be the main driver, how can l do this and get insurance and be able to prove that l own the car when my name is XXXXX XXXXX the V5 document. All friends with other driver at present but in case something happens l want to be able to prove that l own the car?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

The V5 does not determine ownership. It is merely a central record stating whois last recorded as owning the vehicle.

tdlawyer :

The V5 is about the registered keeper of the vehicle, which is not necessarily the owner of it.

tdlawyer :

You can therefore let somebody else keep the vehicle and be the main driver, whilst you remain the owner.

tdlawyer :

Proving ownership is as simple as having something between you and the person with possession of the vehicle, recognising that you own it. That's the best thing to do, whilst keeping the evidnce that you have from purchasing the vehicle.

Customer:

Ok l am buying the car for a family in need, also the husband is going to work for me on 1st march, so l want a car to be available just in casr he has to go somewhere when he may not be with me, this will be on very few occasions, so l do not want to insure the car myself or through the business. But l have read that insurrance companies will not insure a car if the person on the V% is not the main driver also the police use the V5 to send fines to?

tdlawyer :

Yes, the police use those details to send fines to etc. However, you can get insurance companies to consider insuring somebody who is not the owner and is the main driver, but this may take the type of policy out of the usual residental consumer setting and into more of a business aspect perhaps. It's a question for the individual insurers, but when you start doing things which are not the norm, things become more bespoke and therefore difficult, but it's not by any means impossible to do what you want.

Customer:

Ok l see, then your first suggestion is the best and will stand up in law if l get difficulties? do you have any standard form of agreement l should use?

tdlawyer :

Legally, yes, ownership is nothing to do with the V5. I dont have a standard form agreement, but a simple letter signed between you in which you say what you're doing is good evidence of the arrangement that you have. You don't have to do a long detailed agreeemnt like a lawyer would do (although, as a lawyer, I would say that's the best option!)

Customer:

OK, l think l have the answer, l am doing this thing for this family out of kindness, but you know how things can back fire, l am battling with the kind side of my nature and the business side of me.

tdlawyer :

Yes, I do see how things like this go wrong, so you'r eabsolutely right to do what you can to firm up your position now.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else you would ike me to comment on?

Customer:

No, l think l know what to do, l will draft a letter tomorrow, buy the car, let then be the registered keeper and insure the car, thats best l think, do you agree, if so l think we are done, thanks

tdlawyer :

It's always best to try and get insurers on board first, so you know you can do it with a price in mind. Otherwise, you'll buy and not know for sure which insurer will agree and at what premium.

tdlawyer :

But other than that, I've no additional comments.

Customer:

ok buy and thanks for your help is was good to talk to someone about this, bye

tdlawyer :

Thank you - and bye!