Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My mum has been in a care home for two years and is self funding

Customer Question

My mum has been in a care home for two years and is self funding as she had sold her property. She is of stable mind but lost her mobility and would like to give her four grandchildren a gift of £5,000 towards a new car and a deposit for a house. All I need to know as I have power of attorney is she allowed to use her own money for this. She has never spent anything on them before and really wants to do this as it is her money from her house sale and has still got thousands left. I would appreciate your answer. Many thanks.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. There is no difficulty with your Mum doing this, as she is of sound and stable mind. So in law, she can give her consent to this happening. Additionally, whilst you cannot personally benefit from your Power of Attorney there is no difficulty with your mothers four grandchildren benefitting from her generosity. So you can go ahead and do it.

Customer:

Many thanks for quick and efficient response.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
The only problem with doing this will arise should your mother's savings diminish to a point where you have to apply for Local Authority funding
At that point I am afraid that the Local Authority will say that the £20,000 she gave to her grandchildren will still be counted as part of her assets - regardless of the reality.
Of course it may be that the assets are so extensive that this will be no problem in which case my apologies