12826847

I am renting a property in West Berkshire. The property was

Customer Question

I am renting a property in West Berkshire. The property was marketed as a tenancy fully managed by Knight Frank and the rent was paid to Knight Frank (a year of rent in advance). The property has suffered problem after problem such that the master bedroom of the property has been unuseable throughout the 2 months of my tenancy. We have still not been provided with the Landlord's insurance details despite repeatedly requesting it. I suspect the Landlord may have insured the property as an empty property rather than as tenanted. As a direct result of the issues with the property I have suffered thousands of pounds of damage to my contents and I am unable to get contents insurance until I can get details of the Landlord's buildings insurance. Knight Frank are unwilling to help and just keep saying they will refer the issues to their client (The Landlord). We were supposed to be provided with a Knight Frank 24 hour emergency line and after 2 months they have just given us the Landlord's number and we get nowhere with him.
I feel we may have claims against both the Landlord and Knight Frank.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to know how best to proceed. Specifically I would like to know how to compel Knight Frank (who are a reputable high end Estate Agent) to behave responsibly to me as the Tenant. I would like to know whether I have a case against the Landlord for damages. My contract requires me to insure my contents but requires him to provide insurance certificate for the property before the Tenancy begins or asap thereafter. I cannot get contents insurance without details of the Landlord's insurance.

Ok.

I understand that but what is it specifically that you want them to do ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) I want the landlord to offer a rent reduction for the rooms that are not useable.

2) I want Knight Frank to compel the Landlord to behave in an appropriate way recognising that their reputation is being damaged as well as the Landlord

3) I want to enforce the contract that requires the Certificate of Insurance to be provided to me.