How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am renting a property in West Berkshire. The property was

Customer Question

I am renting a property in West Berkshire. The property was marketed as a tenancy fully managed by Knight Frank and the rent was paid to Knight Frank (a year of rent in advance). The property has suffered problem after problem such that the master bedroom of the property has been unuseable throughout the 2 months of my tenancy. We have still not been provided with the Landlord's insurance details despite repeatedly requesting it. I suspect the Landlord may have insured the property as an empty property rather than as tenanted. As a direct result of the issues with the property I have suffered thousands of pounds of damage to my contents and I am unable to get contents insurance until I can get details of the Landlord's buildings insurance. Knight Frank are unwilling to help and just keep saying they will refer the issues to their client (The Landlord). We were supposed to be provided with a Knight Frank 24 hour emergency line and after 2 months they have just given us the Landlord's number and we get nowhere with him.
I feel we may have claims against both the Landlord and Knight Frank.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to know how best to proceed. Specifically I would like to know how to compel Knight Frank (who are a reputable high end Estate Agent) to behave responsibly to me as the Tenant. I would like to know whether I have a case against the Landlord for damages. My contract requires me to insure my contents but requires him to provide insurance certificate for the property before the Tenancy begins or asap thereafter. I cannot get contents insurance without details of the Landlord's insurance.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I understand that but what is it specifically that you want them to do ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) I want the landlord to offer a rent reduction for the rooms that are not useable.

2) I want Knight Frank to compel the Landlord to behave in an appropriate way recognising that their reputation is being damaged as well as the Landlord

3) I want to enforce the contract that requires the Certificate of Insurance to be provided to me.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice