On Jan 2 nd i sold at ebay UK auction a 44 ft 1994 Beneteau

On Jan 2 nd i sold at ebay UK auction a 44 ft 1994 Beneteau yacht. The winning bid was £30,100 ( v good price ). He paid a 10 % deposit of £3000. It took this man 4 weeks to travel to Grenada ( which i didn't complain about ) and during this time he gave me the impression he wanted to pull out before seeing it but he finally arrived at the boat. He then proceeded to suggest that the boat was not as i had explained and that he was only prepared to give me a further £7000 which is an insult , and now hes threatening to take me to court even though ive offered to return his deposit. He say's i must pay all his travelling expenses and hotel bills for him and his "expert". Now normally i wouldnt be to worried about this but after searching his details on the net it would seem he's a very wealthy man with a shop on Mayfair in London and i'm worried he could use top lawyers to do something like put a court order on the boat or something and then rip me to pieces in court with my v cheap lawyer. Could he do anything like this?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

MY name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

What is exactly has he said is wrong with the boat? Does it match the description which you sold it under?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Was it as described please?

I am told you can not see the answer.

I asked: Was it as described please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well this is a twenty year old yacht. Anyone who knows anything about boating knows where the word BOAT came from " bring on another thousand" !! The fact that a 1994 Beneteau oceanis 445 sold for £30,000 reflects that it going to need some work. I guarantee if you do a search for similar you wont find one for less then £50,000. This boat had a lot of interest and i sent an additional email to everyone of them giving details of all its issues and repairs that were needed . The buyers says he never got this email. But there is no major problem with the boat. But the original question was this boat as described is a difficult one to answer since there are so many systems on board if i say in need of TLC you need to go look BEFORE you bid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But i can say that without a shadow of a doubt that there are no major issues on her. and also it should be noted that i could sell the diesel inboard engine on its own tomorrow for what he offered me. He's a business man trying to scare me into a brilliant deal. Please also note that he still wants the boat!!!!

What i need to know is can he put any kind of court seizure on the boat where it stands in Grenada bearing in mind he has only paid a deposit and that i have offered a full refund. Pls also note it was on Ebay UK who have no jurisdiction outside UK , and that its now 6 weeks since the sale due to him.

Did he have an opportunity to inspect it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes. every opportunity , as did everyone. But he didnt go to it for 4 weeks after putting in winning bid

Then you need not worry. As a private buyer he has limited rights, as in not the same as if it was from a store.

The motto here is ways buyer beware. If he had an opportunity to inspect but did not and ask long as you have described it correctly you have nothing to worry about.

You do not need to be bullied. He has 2 choices

A. Go ahead with the deal for the price asks
B. Not to go ahead and refund the deposit.

He can not it cheaper. Those are the only two options.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: