How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70013
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Tenant paid deposit and on leaving asked for it all to be returned

Resolved Question:

Tenant paid deposit and on leaving asked for it all to be returned as he needed it desperately for new house.
He also paid an extra month's rent.
I said I would repay deposit, but keep rent in case there were any issues that needed resolving.
Bathroom window is broken - tenant has bared the screw and also forced the window handle in the locked position and snapped the internal mechanism. This, in my opinion, is beyond the 'wear and tear' identified in contract. Window was in good order 8 months ago when the inventory was done.

Tenant asked if his friend could try and mend it (£100) but this hasn't worked. In my opinion a new window is ths only solution. I have obtained three quotes, ranging from £400 to £250.
Am I within my rights to ask the tenant to pay? Should I pay? Or should we go 50:50?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

On what basis is he threatening to contact the police please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He said that he will call the police to report that I am withholding his money.

He has threatened me and said I have to pay back the money because it isn't mine and I have to return it to the legal owner.

I know this is a civil, not criminal matter and that therefore the police will not be needed.

I do need just to get it sorted - get the window sorted, any balance owing repaid and move on.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks.

What type of contract was this and was the deposit protected?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shorthold Agreed (?) Tenancy,

The deposit was in the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

I reapid the deposit in full to the tenant, in good faith, as he needed it urgently for his new house.

He had also paid an extra month's rent, which we agreed I would keep hold of to cover any outstanding issues in the house... not thinking I'd need it. And then the issue of the window came to light!



Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

But this extra month, was it paid at the time he moved in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No at time he moved out.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

That is all I need to know. You properly protected the deposit so you are not liable to him and he has caused damage so he is liable to you.

The police will tell him this is a civil matter so you need have no concerns over that at all.

In terms of whether this is normal wear and tear, that is always very difficult. Clearly its not wilful damage and, in fairness, accidents do happen over the course of many months occupation. Overall, I think a court would say that it exceeds wear and tear and its a big expense for you to just write off as an accident. You are taking a risk but I think it would probably pay off.

In any event, if you refuse to pay then he would have to sue you and he would have the burden of proof over this.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I just double check please, so that I am VERY clear.

I repaid his deposit that was secured through the tenancy deposit scheme and the money I have is an extra month's rent.

So am I still not liable to him, even though this is not exactly the deposit?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
As long as you didn't take this amount when he moved its not a deposit.

In any event, you would be entitled to deduct from his deposit in these circumstances. The only issue is whether or not you protected it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is where I remain confused.


I have returned the protected deposit.


If the money I now have is NOT a deposit, can I deduct from it to pay for the window?


In any case, I am at least happy to pay half as a gesture of good will.

I'm really sorry - I just need to be VERY clear that I am being fair to him.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Yes, its fairly common for sums owed to be deduced from other amounts in this way.

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70013
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions