29905560

is there a legal limit for the time spent travelling to and

is there a legal limit for the time spent travelling to and from work

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have a specific place of work you travel to?

Customer:

Yes its a 54 round trip to my place of work at Hammersmith, but its the timing that is the real

Customer:

question as it takes around 3 - 4 hours a day travelling time

Ben Jones :

has this always been your place of work or was it changed by the employer?

Customer:

It was changed by the employer 18 months ago, when we worked just 32 miles round trip from home that took 1.2 hours a day

Ben Jones :

There is no time limit by law on travelling to/from work as that is not classified as working time - it is a commute to a specified place of work and as such it is your own time, not covered by any legislation. The issue really is the change that resulted in this increase - whether the employer had the right to do this for example. However, if this happened 18 months ago, then it would be difficult to challenge it now, it is something that should have been done at the time. The longer you have continued to work under these new terms, the more it would be implied that you had accepted the changes as they stand now. It does not stop you from challenging the employer over it, but your rights will be reduced due to the time that has elapsed since the changes were introduced

Customer:

Ok thats fine thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wondering if there was a specific law with regard to the time taken driving to and from a place of work, but it appears not, Ok well that helps me, so thank you for your time in answering my question.

Ben Jones :

No I am afraid the time limits in employment only relate to 'working time', so the time you spend at work, or travelling to/from clients or on business. But commuting to/from work is specifically excluded from the definition of working time unfortunately

Customer:

Ok well thank you, XXXXX XXXXX now I know for future reference...many thanks again

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/

Customer:

Thank you I will do....many thanks again...