tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hello, is there a minimum energy rating for properties that

Hello, is there a minimum energy rating for properties that are let out as residential,..?

(ours can't be much above F, we asked to install new doors and windows (for 2500gbp),
and a voluntary offer of 50 gbp rent increase in conjunction with 5 year lease, but he want's more)
Our landlord never an energy rating to us,
and me being german, I am very unsure about this,
I know we have laws for that
and I am pretty certain there must be some form of eu regulation as well,..??

anyhow, I thank you very much in advance for any help/answer

best regards XXXXX
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

There is no law at yet in England that requires the minimum rating of a property before being let. This is, however, due to come into force in 2018, but I appreciate that's not use to you right now.

Customer:

tdlawyer :

Customer:

no, not really the answer I was hoping for, obviously. The thing is at the moment my 9 year old son could stick his whole arm through a hole in the 'well rotten' window frame... legal ? Also; I am very disgusted with the greed of our landlord ( I think, a continuous rent increase, which would pay for the job in 4.67 yrs., is more than adequate ), what is the legal limit of rent increase for done renovations ? .., but he is legaly required to produce an energy rating, no matter how bad ? Sorry I take a while, being german, I need to think about my formulation and spelling, a lot :) best regards friedo

tdlawyer :

Ah, that might be a different issue, rather than one about hearing/energy efficiency. You could argue that the home is not fit for human habitation if this causes potential health issues, as it might. You should speak to your local council about this and they will investigate and take action if necessary. Also, you could argue that it's a breach of your tenancy agreement in some way, perhaps that it is a nuisance and must be repaired by the landlord.

Customer:

Right, okay; I think I get a picture,...

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else you would like me to discuss with you about this?

Customer:

Our main goal is to maintain a civil and friendly relationship to our landlord, so after the information I have received from you I would need to discuss this with my wife on how to proceed,.. I thank you so far ( was this now one question or three, I signed up for 5 question for 33 a month, sorry not your issue,..I'll read the terms ) best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

.., sorry, I forgot, what about the 50 gbp for 2500gbp invested. Well, I know there is a law on how much % of the investment capital can be put on the annual rent ?? thanks a lot !!!

tdlawyer :

I'm not aware of that law to be honest ...! I'm not sure it exists?

Customer:

I meant to say, I konw of such law in Germany, my mistake !

tdlawyer :

Oh I see.

tdlawyer :

:) I hope this has been useful to you.

Customer:

yeah, well, sort of, I am obviously not too happy about the tenant protection in this country, and I have lived all over the world, for a first world country I find it kinda sad,.. Nonetheless, I thank you for you answers and quick responses best regards XXXXX XXXXX

tdlawyer :

Thank you! Have a good evening.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a pleasant evening !!!