UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Dear Sir or Madam Several months ago I agreed to compile

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam

Several months ago I agreed to compile a planning application for an acquaintance. In the process of doing so, I commissioned several professional drawings from engineers and architect at a cost of approx £3000 on the understanding that my costs would be reimbursed. Due to the length of time I'd known him I didn't see the need for a contract. As the deadline for the application drew closer, he became distant and then stopped communicating. As I hadn't heard from him, I decided to submit the application on his behalf. However, a couple of weeks later, I was contacted by a planning officer and informed that they had received an identical application from another company for the same client using the same drawings. My questions are: Am I reasonably entitled to recovering my costs given there was no official contract drawn up and if not, am I able to enforce a copywrite on the drawings to prevent them from being used?

Sincerely

Ben
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Unless you had agreed with your acquaintance that he would reimburse your costs, verbally, then you would not be able to recover them I am afraid.

If he had agreed to reimburse you, then you should send him a letter asking for the money to be repaid within say 10 days. If he still doesn't pay, despite the letter, you may sue him at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Yes, copyright in the drawings would belong to you and you may write to the council and the other company asserting your copyright and asking the other company to stop using your drawings.

Hope this helps