Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

my mother has just passed away and left one hundred and sixty

Customer Question

my mother has just passed away and left one hundred and sixty six thousand in six different bank accounts she owns no property and there is no outstanding debts to anyone.
My mother has left a will dividing the money between son and daughter and we are both executors of the will. Would it be fesible or straight forward to carry out the probate ourselves.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

As there is a will it does make things slightly more straightforward. As executors you need to apply for grant of representation. https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/applying-for-a-grant-of-representation the form PA1 can be found here.

You will also need to confirm whether any Inheritance Tax is payable. It may be worth contacting and account to confirm this, but I suspect no tax will be payable as the first £300k is normally taxed at 0%.

Once probate has been granted you can then use the grant to apply to various banks to have the cash released.

This normally takes up to 6 months, but the legacy is only cash you may be able to obtain it more quickly.

Can I be of any further assistance?

AJ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Thank you. I wish you all the best and hope you can resolve everything quickly.

If you do decide you want to use a solicitor then I would I recommend contacting the Law Society (www.lawsociety.org.uk) they will be able to recommend a solicitor that is local to you and will not cost a fortune.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any follow up points. Kind regards AJ