12826847

The Parish Clerk sought a private and confidential meeting

Customer Question

The Parish Clerk sought a private and confidential meeting with the Parish Council Chairman and myself (Parish Councillor), this was agreed and arranged on at a neutral venue. After a few minutes the Chairman realised the Clerk was covertly recording the meeting. We aborted the meeting immediately. As this impacts public office is this something I should report to the police and does it transgress my human rights? David Matthews

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but there's no point in reporting this to the police as they will not be interested.

There is no offence in covert recordings. The press do it all the time. There are restrictions upon playing back a covert recording but he hasn't done that and anyway the police still wouldn't be interested in that as its a data protection act matter. You could complain to the Information Commissioner but he probably wouldn't be interested either.

This is not a human rights act matter I'm afraid. The police don't investigate them anyway but even if they did this would not offend.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.