12826847

Hi my mum and her-companion both in there 80 both stay in my

Customer Question

Hi my mum and her-companion both in there 80 both stay in my mums house he has is own house across the road he pays council tax on that house and mum pays council tax on her home this is discounted as they are both single if he moves in with mum permantly will they have to pay full council tax if this is so will he get to be able to claim half the house if anything happens to my mum

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

If he moves in with your mother, your mother will have to pay full council tax.

He will then be responsible for council tax on the other property which I imagine he would rent out or sell.

The one way of guaranteeing that he has no claim on the house of your mother is for him to sign a co-habitation agreement and I would not rely on him saying that he will never bring a claim.

Any matrimonial solicitor will draft a co-habitation agreement for between £100 and £200 and it would be money well spent for that piece of mind.

It is essential that he takes independent legal advice on the cohabitation agreement so that he cannot claim he signed it under duress