UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi. I made a complaint to my local pharmacy, which is part

I made a complaint to my local pharmacy, which is part of a UK-wide chain, that they had failed to dispense a medication that was part of a prescription for myself.

No harm resulted, though I did miss a dose of that medication.

In response, they claimed that it had been dispensed and collected.

I made a subject access request for all relevant information and discovered that the dispensing record is inaccurate, something that the pharmacy's correspondence and internal report recognises, noting that there is no "audit trail".

The nature of the inaccuracy is that the dispensing record records a single act of dispensing rather than the two that took place. The pharmacy has also stated that a different pharmacist made each dispensing but that the second pharmacist does not recall what was dispensed.

That seems like a significant error to me as I would presume a pharmacy has an obligation to maintain an accurate dispensing record not just to maintain an audit trail but to prevent errors in dispensing.

Do pharmacies have a legal obligation to maintain an accurate dispensing record that is contemporaneous with each act of dispensing? Or is the audit trail for internal purposes only?

Dave
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this.

The audit trail is required by their regulators although there is no legal obligation to keep the record as such.

I suggest you read this article giving guidance on keeping pharmacy records:http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/gmgr-retention-pharmacy-records.pdf

Also this : http://www.pharmacyregulation.org/sites/default/files/GPhC%20Responsible%20pharmacist%20guidance.pdf

All the best