tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

my daughter has had a visit from a bailiff ---- reason for

my daughter has had a visit from a bailiff ---- reason for visit --- apparently a foreign guy she worked with approximately 2 years ago for a short while is being chased for debts on a car --- the guy in question has used her address on his driving and as the address for keeping the car --- the bailiff is now claiming against her property --- could you please advise as she is expecting another visit. Many thanks
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Did she receive any court documents and is this a court bailiff?

Customer:

she has not received any documents----the bailiff --- we are not sure about as she was out at the time and her neighbor informed us of their visit and the discussions he had with them

tdlawyer :

Okay. Sometimes you get "private bailiffs" that use that name because it sounds similar to a "court bailiff". So called "private bailiffs" have no power at all, the're just people knocking the door asking for payment of money due to their client. You can tell them simply nothing is owed and to go away. You can't do that with Court bailiffs.

tdlawyer :

If there has been no court paperwork then it's not likely to be a court bailiff. There would have to be a court judgment before the court bailiffs become involved.

tdlawyer :

If she was ever sued she would simply defend on the basis that the debt is not hers.

Customer:

Thanks Tony ---- we will have to wait for the next visit to establish the above --- once we have would it be OK to revisit you if required.

tdlawyer :

yes, of course it is, i would be glad to give more assistance then for you too.

tdlawyer :

Thanks for your question this morning.