13262538

As an executor am I legally

Customer Question

As an executor am I legally obliged to give a copy of the death certificate and a statement of accounts to a major charity. The will asked us as executors to decide how to split the residue between 5 named charities. Their letter asks if we would send this back for their auditors, they have sent a letter with the incorrect amount on it anyway. £8000 instead of £7000. Can we say no without causing any issues? As we feel offended by this letter especially as it is the only charity out of 27 to ask this. Yours Robert and Helena XXXXXX

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You do not need to give these details if you do not want to. You had discretion on how to split the funds amongst the 5 charities and you should simply point this out to the charity and send them a copy of the Will.

All the best
I am afraid that if the are one of the five named charities who are to receive the Residue then they are indeed entitled to a copy of the Estate Accounts
They should obtain their own copy of the Death Certificate if they want it however
Please ask if you need further details