tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Im a self-employed smartphone app developer. I sell apps via

I'm a self-employed smartphone app developer. I sell apps via Google Play. In December I noticed I had not received a payment from Google since October, and I contacted Google to try to resolve this.

Since then I have not received a substantive reply from Google; I've been told repeatedly that their "specialists" and "engineering team" are working on the problem. Google owe me around £5,700 now.

What can I do?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Are you willing to issue court proceedings if you have to?

Customer:

If I have to. I don't expect them to never pay me, but it's been four months now.

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then maybe they just need a little helping hand to focus their attention on you.

tdlawyer :

In that case, I would suggest a formal email to them (perhaps even a letter) insisting they take this seriously, or you will issue proceedings.

tdlawyer :

Then if you don't get it resolved within 14 days ƒrom that, you could issue proceedings in the small claims court against any google company based here in England.

tdlawyer :

I should say, against the google company that your agreement is with, which I assume should be here in England?

Customer:

I don't honestly know, but they do have four UK addresses listed.

Customer:

I expect I can get an answer to that question from them.

tdlawyer :

To be honest, I'd be surprised if they sought to argue with you anyway about whether the claim should be here or in America.

tdlawyer :

I expect they'd just deal with the claim anyway - it's hardly cost effective for £5k to start arguing about jurisdictional issues.

tdlawyer :

It's a possibility though in theory.

tdlawyer :

The point is though, it would really focus their attention on dealing with your issue.

Customer:

tdlawyer :

The only other way is to keep doing what you're doing, which isn't working very well.

tdlawyer :

It should never have to come to this, issuing court claims, but sometimes it does, and its amazing what effect it has.

Customer:

Is there particular language that I should use?

tdlawyer :

No, don't worry about that - it's a small claim, so it's really informal. Just set out the position, the courts don't expect proper legalese wording or anything like that.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you.