tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

MY COMPANY HAS BEEN SENT A LETTER FROM NORTHAMTON COURT "IT

MY COMPANY HAS BEEN SENT A LETTER FROM NORTHAMTON COURT

"IT IS ORDERED THAT CLAIMANT HAS PERMISSION TO AMEND THE NAME OF THE DEFENDANT TO CUSTOMIZE PURSUANT TO RULE 17.4.5,

I HAVE JUST STARTED TO RENT THE PROPERTY SO I AM CONFUSED WHY IT HAS COME IN MY NAME, THERE WERE PREVIOUS TENANTS IN THE SHOP BEFORE ME.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Can you tell me what the claim was for please?

Customer:

I don't know all it says is from claimant name, and my company name

tdlawyer :

Have you seen a claim form?

Customer:

ys

Customer:

general form of judgement or order

Customer:

that is what it says on top of page

Customer:

but like I have said I just opened up

Customer:

recently

tdlawyer :

Do you know what the claim relates to?

Customer:

don't have a clue

tdlawyer :

You need to write to the Court and ask them for a copy of that then. You need to know what this is all about. It looks like you have been sued, but ply after somebody else was sued.

tdlawyer :

The cause of action looks like it might have taken place a long time ago, as 17.4.5 deals with changing the parties to a claim after the end of a limitation period, which for contract claims and most civil wrongs, is 6 years.

tdlawyer :

Actually, can you type that part of the order out?

Customer:

because this order has been made on the application of a party without notice of the hearing been given, any other parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside

tdlawyer :

Yes, can you type of the part out that talks about rule 17?

Customer:

claminat has permission to amend the name of the defendant to customize pursuant to rule 17.4.5

tdlawyer :

Ah okay. Right, you need to speak to the Court on Monday and ask for a copy of the claim form.

tdlawyer :

Then you need to work out whether you believe the claimant was right to sue you.

tdlawyer :

If not, then you might need to make an application to the Court to comest being joined into the claim.

Customer:

sorry I don't understand the last bit,

Customer:

make an application to the court to comest ?

tdlawyer :

sorry ... contest ....

tdlawyer :

To disagree with you being joined into the claim.

Customer:

how do I contest? any forms? or send some proof?

tdlawyer :

It really does depend what it's all about and you need to see the clam form to work that out, together with the particulars of claim.

tdlawyer :

You might simply file a Defence, you might have to lodge an Application Notice on Form N244, it depends what has already happened you see.