UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello my husband has filled for a divorce after 28years of

Hello my husband has filled for a divorce after 28years of marriage we have been together for 39 years he's been telling me I'm only entitled to half the house but not half our savings we should have a considerable amount , but IV heard of spouse allowance is there such a thing

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The courts have very wide powers on how to split up assets in a divorce and it will consider various factors such as the welfare of children, earning capacity, the standard of living , financial needs, the ages of the divorcing parties, duration of marriage etc.

There are also no rules about spousal allowance or alimony.

I suggest you read here to understand better: http://www.divorceaid.co.uk/financial/index2.html

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
HiThe Starting point for division of ALL the assets - savings and house is 50/50 and the length of your marriage means you will receive thatIn additions if half of the assets does not allow you to rehouse yourself then you may receive more.You are indeed also entitle to spouse maintenance because he earns o much more than you doSpouse maintenance is based on what you need to ensure you are able to cope financiallyClare