75100385

We are a small local business (restaurant with rooms) and we

Customer Question

We are a small local business (restaurant with rooms) and we have a neighbor in a property on the top floor above our rooms - where guests sleep. He recently held a party which upset our guests. Before the party we asked that the noise was stopped after midnight, which did not happen and we needed to ask him to let our guests sleep. He only gave us 2 weeks notice and the rooms were already sold by this point. He is sending us aggressive emails, claiming his rights under the UK laws regarding noise. Are there any laws which protect our business? Thanks

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Does he rent please?
JACUSTOMER-ynjvbclm- : The building is divided into three floors, we own the freehold to the whole building and he owns the lease hold to the top floor apartment. Ground floor is restaurant, middle floor is bed and breakfast rooms and top is the person who is causing us problems. He does not live there, it is used as an office space I believe? Thanks, Hannah
Alex Watts :

Have you complained to the freeholder?

JACUSTOMER-ynjvbclm- : We are the freeholder, (see previous response).
Alex Watts :

And is there a clause that says not to cause noise or nuisance etc?

JACUSTOMER-ynjvbclm- :

Sorry for slow reply. There is a clause for noise after 11pm, Need to double check this though to be sure.

Alex Watts : Ok please do and come back to me