29905560

Hello.My emplayer demands from me "helth medicals" when he

Hello.My emplayer demands from me "helth medicals" when he wasent interested in at begining when he give me contract to work.Is there any law that protects me?anything. Please help

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why does he require these statements?

Customer:

Hello.I am Pawel.I use a touch tablet to chat with you.Im pawel.My employers is asking about my medicals.He arrange a nurse meeting at place of work.At beggining of my contract or before it he wasnt askingng any thing and wasnt interested in my helth at all.I dont know what to do.I feel this is my personal busniess between my doctor and me.I dont know what to do.How to say no to my emplayer?IS law that protects me ?

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

I work as a General Operative for a 4.5 years.

Customer:

In a recycling.

Ben Jones :

have they said why they need your medical information and what will happen if you refuse?

Customer:

I didnt know i have right to ask.I dindnt know I should ask becouse i recived from my employer a papers with questions about me and my helth like where i live and am i left or right hended

Customer:

I didnt answer those .On those pappers is just writed down "your information will be handled by rps in accorde with data protection act 1998". that is all.

Customer:

ETC.

Customer:

IS ANY LAW IN EMPLOYEE RIGHTS THAT PROTECTS ME?

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

Whilst the employer can ask you for certain health-related information, especially if they have a good reason to do so, you cannot be forced to disclose it and can legally refuse to do so. However, you must consider the reasons for their request and the potential consequences of rejecting that request.

Usually, an employer would like to know details about the health of an employee either if they have been off work on sick leave and they want to establish the reasons for their absence and if any changes need to be made to help the employee, or if there is a specific risk in the workplace which they need to analyse and be aware of. In any other situation, the employer would not really be justified and you can reject it, without fearing any consequences by the employer. Some simple information, like whether you are left or right handed, is not really sensitive health information that you should be concerned about revealing so this is not really an issue but more personal details, like medical conditions, etc you can justify by being irrelevant to the circumstances (unless the employer can justify this request as mentioned above).

Customer:

Yhy that shuld be enough.Thank you very very much Mr BEN JONES.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome