My husband was taken by police under caution at 20.15hrs

Customer Question

My husband was taken by police 'under caution' at 20.15hrs this evening. I am beside myself as I don't really know why!! I can only think it is to do with the local football Club for which he is on the board of directors for the supporters trust!! Where there have been accusations of fraud, and now it seems as if someone has been trying to hack into the football website, ?what for.
I would like to ask you 2 questions please?
1) how long can they keep him at the police station for?
2) if I rang the police station, would they tell me anything?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

On your specific points

1 Fraud is a serious arrestible offence so they can hold him for up to 36 hours without charge or release but they have to get extentions authorised by an Inspector to go beyond 24 hours which doesn't generally happen.

That doesn't mean he will be released after 24 hours but just that they have to make a charging decision at that time. He could be remanded in custody and put before the court in the morning but that isn't likely on a fraud offence.

2 No. But they will tell him that you called and will probably give him the option to call you back. There are some exceptions to that. They can hold some people incognito in some circumstances but thats not likely here. Its very rare that people are prevented from making contact with their family now. The only thing to bear in mind is that if he does speak to you it will be from the custody suite surrounded by police officers and its not generally a good idea to discuss the case in those circumstances.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile