UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I employed a roofer (through check a trade) to solve a water

I employed a roofer (through check a trade) to solve a water penetration from the garage that joins the house into garage. In actual fact the problem was far worse than before. I therefore asked two tradesmen to give their opinion on work carried out. I quote from one of the reports given to me 'Unfortunately the works you have had carried out are not to good workmanship and would be condemned by any building control as bad code of practice'
It goes on to say that I should report to trading standards and get a full refund for the appalling work. How do I stand in this situation.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You have the right to take legal action against this "rogue trader" as their work seems to be faulty contrary to the Supply of Goods and Services Act, which provides that the work must have been carried out with reasonable care and skill. I agree, the person should be reported to trading standards as well.

You may file a court claim against the person online for refund of your money at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk on the grounds that it is defective and you may use the reports of the other builders to prove your claim that their work was shoddy.

Hope this helps