How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have been renting a@ 3 bedroom house since October 2012.

Customer Question

I have been renting a@ 3 bedroom house since October 2012. The tenancy agreement was initially for 6 months and then a year, which expires on the 14th May2014.
During this time I have been in full time employment on a contract that expires on the 31st March 2014. I have been verbally told that I will be offered a permanent contract from the 1st April 2014, but my employers are not yet in a position to give me anything in writing to confirm this.
My landlady in formed me that unless she has something in writing from my employer by the 14 March 2014, she will give me 2 months notice to quit the property. My employer says that under the Data Protection Act, they cannot give this information to a 3rd party and that a decision to issue me a new contract will not be made till the end of March due to internal promotions yet to be agreed.
She says her insurance policy for the house does not cover her her a tenant who is not 'Professionally' employed and unless she has written proof of my continued employment I can no longer rent and live in this house.
My question is, is there such an insurance which dictates who can live in the insured house and that they have to be in full time professional employment and can she force me to leave against my will?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have heard of such insurance policies but this is really a problem for your landlady, she does not need to take out such insurance and it is her choice that she has decided to take it out.

She cannot evict you from the property simply by issuing you 2 months notice, she would need to get a court order forcing you to leave and even then you do not need to leave until bailiffs come around to evict you.

This process will take a few months and ceratinly not before the 2 months notice has expired.

So I would simply tell your landlady that you will try and give them something from your employer, by the date she wants it, but if this doesn't come through by then, youi don't need to worry, you could simply keep fobbing her off.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Told the landlady what I thought of her!

I downsized and moved.

Thanks for your advice.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Noted, thanks

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice