UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My company employed a consultant for approximately 16 years

Customer Question

My company employed a consultant for approximately 16 years he then decided last year that he could use all our clients for his own use, using a company he started with his wife, this was while he was employed by us,as he had worked with our clients it was easy to contact our clients with his new Company. we now have no income as all our clients have moved to him What can we do as the court requires us to put money into court before proceeding we have no money for this what are our options please Harvey Wilkinson 07860872497

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this.

Unless you had an agreement with him stopping him from poaching your business/clients for a reasonable amount of time, I am afraid there is very little you can do other than to try winning back the clients competitively.

The courts do not like restraint of trade agreements and interpret such agreements very narrowly and will only protect your legitimate business interests.

I am afraid competition is very much in the public interest and there is little you can do by way of legal action, other than to win your clients back.

Sorry but I can only advise you honestly on the legal position.

All the best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply after paying a high salary we are amazed that he can just take our company with no recall

Unfortunately so.

Furthermore, as he was a consultant and not an employee, you would have far less control over him.

Sorry