29905560

I HAVE PAID INTO A COMPANY PENSION SCHEME FOR APPROXIMATELY

I HAVE PAID INTO A COMPANY PENSION SCHEME FOR APPROXIMATELY 20 YEARS.IF YOU PUT 4% IN THE COMPANY WOULD MATCH THIS.YOU CAN PUT IN MORE BUT THE COMPANIES MAX WAS 4%. IN 2007 THE COMPANY WENT BUST AND WAS BOUGHT BY ANOTHER COMPANY. IT APPEARS THIS COMPANY PAY 5% BUT ONLY TO NEW EMPLOYEES CONTRACTS .IT APPEARS SOME EMPLOYEES GET MORE .SHOULD THE NEW OWNERS PAY THE SAME TO EVERYONE DOING SIMILAR JOBS ON SIMILAR PAY RATES

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you still get 4% from the new company?

Customer:

yes still 4%

There is unfortunately no legal requirement on an employer to pay all of its employees the same pension contributions, even if they all do the same or broadly similar jobs.

The only requirement in law is that the employer’s actions is not based on discriminatory grounds. That means that it should not base its decision on factors relating to gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, etc. If its decision is based on any of these, there will be a potential case of discrimination and the affected person can potentially take this further. However, in the absence of any discriminatory reasons, the employer will rarely be acting unlawfully and will have the general power to be selective over how much it pays to whom, especially if the reasons for this difference is the fact that some rates were historical from previous companies or old contracts.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you wanted to hear but I hope you understand I have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands and sometimes this does unfortunately mean delivering bad news. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.