29905560

My college has not offered me any additional teaching opps.

My college has not offered me any additional teaching opps. on the grounds that I have commitments at home. I am a grandmother, but have told my college that I am flexible and available. I have not been made aware of any additional opportunties that have become available. I don't know why but it isn't a performance issue. What can I do please?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you employed by them?

Customer:

Yes -for 12 years -teaching part time with adults with severe learning disabilities (music)

Ben Jones :

Are you contracted to do any specific hours?

Customer:

Yes -just five and a half hours a week. There are opps in other areas, and I am very well and suitably qualified for them, but I have not been considered for them for the reasons given -transport difficulties (nonsense, I have no difficulties -and comittments at home -I don't know what they mean and they will not tell me.)

Ben Jones :

are you still getting whatever your contract entitles you to?

Customer:

Oh yes. Unfortunately my contract only enables me to teach 4/5ths of a course and I have to leave before the course finishes. Then someone else takes over.

Ben Jones :

So what you are after is not really something which you are guaranteed under contract - it is just extra work which you would like to do?

Customer:

Yes -there are lots of different courses that I am qualified to teach, but I have been told that the reason I am not even told about them is because I have transport issues (I don't know what they mean -I have never been late in twelve years and have had one days sickness -and have home commitments (I have asked what they mean by this and they will not tell me.

Customer:

My colleague who has the same contract as I do, recently had hers upgraded. I was told I wasn't considered, but they will not say why.

Ben Jones :

Any reason to believe this is due to something else?

Customer:

Well, I do wonder about ageism. But I had eason to take a desision made by my manager, right tothe top of the college, and I was vindicated. Briefly, the college lost the paperwork for application for certificates for the students, and the replacement cost was £800. My manager said they would not pay for additional certificates and were going to make some. I was told that the studetns wouldn't really be aware of the difference, and the college could spend the £800 on other things. They prob. wouldn't have been, but that is not the point. I reported it, and the college paid for certificates.

Customer:

My manager apparently told my Course Co-odinator that she couldn't stick me (quote.)

Customer:

The college is seeking voluntary redundancies at the moment. I wonder if they are hoping I'll just go. 8 years ago I was nominated for a national teaching award which I turned down because I don't like singling people out. Just stating this to show that my work is fine -I have had "Excellent" in my observations, so even they say it is not a teaching issue. I guess if it was they wouldn't keep me in post! I don't even get offered absent teacher supply opps which they acknowledge, but again won't say why.

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

The starting issue is that the employer is not actually breaching your contract as you are getting the hours you are contracted to and allowed to do your contracted duties. So from that perspective, they are not doing anything wrong and they do not have to offer you any additional work or opportunities.

So you have to consider whether the reason for this has anything to do with discrimination, for example age, gender, race, etc. You mention ageism – that is a potentially discriminatory ground but you must be able to show that the reason for the way you are treated is your age. For example, is there any evidence that those younger than you are being treated more favourably and there is no clear reason for which this can be justified as not being age-related.

In terms of pursuing this, you can raise a formal complaint with the employer at any time, which is done through the grievance procedure. Apart from that you are really looking at two options only:

• Resignation and a claim for constructive dismissal and age discrimination

• Remaining in the position and claiming age discrimination

Customer:

I doubt I could ever show it was age related. I just wondered if there was any onus on the college to offer opportunities to apply for extra work, on an equal basis to employees -otherwise, as has happened to me, everyone has had increased work opps. and I have remained on my 5 1/2 hrs -an will until I go.

Ben Jones :

There is no such thing as equal opportunities in that respect - equal opportunities only exist in terms of discrimination, so for example people of different ages, race, gender, etc should be treated equally, but it does not mean that there should be equal treatment on all other grounds, such as training or extra work.

Customer:

Thank you anyway. I will probably go, as it is really hard to watch all my colleagues getting chances that I don't have. I thought that they should at least give me a better understanding of why they won't -hey ho!

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'