UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, My elder brother Andrew Slaughter died in an accident

Hello, My elder brother Andrew Slaughter died in an accident aug 8th 2012, He was married to Karen and she had 3 children by her 1st husband (not Andrew). I would like to know if I his sister and our mother have the right to have personnel item we gave Andrew either before he met his wife and during his marriage can be returned to us. we are prepared to go to court if needed. you see 1 item we gave Andrew a crystal tankard when he gave me away to my husband 23 years ago and he treasured it. but after his death all his things were put away. its breaking my heart as I have not been able to accept him leaving us.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry about your brother's death.

If Andrew had made a Will and said that his personal belongings (i.e. the gifts given to him) were to go given to you and/or your mother, then you would have a valid claim to these items, otherwise I am afraid not and they would pass on in accordance with his Will.

If he did not make a Will, his personal belongings would pass on to Karen, being his wife and it really is up to Karen whether or not she should give you/your mother the items gifted to Andrew.

Hope this helps