UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Hi, I have recently been given a Police Caution for possession

I have recently been given a Police Caution for possession of a controlled substance and want to know what this exactly means to me and how it will affect me in the rest of my life. For example, will this stay on my record for the rest of my life?
Will it restrict me in terms of jobs that I can obtain in the future?
I am looking to go to America with my Father later this year, will this stop me from gaining entry into the US?

Any further relevant information would be appreciated as well

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is this a cannabis matter please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it was cocaine

What sort of work do you ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Recruitment

What level of checking are you facing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For work it would just be something like a CRB check, however I may look to work overseas in the future

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

My colleague has forwarded this questions to me as she will be in meeting for the rest of the day.

1. In respect of the police caution as this is not a conviction it will not show up after 5 and a half years on enhanced checking. Because it is a caution it is spent immediately so it will drop off basic checking straight away.

2. In respect of employment this will depend on the type of job you are seeking and the employment criteria used by your employer. If you are working overseas then depending on the application form, they may or may not ask you to disclose any previous cautions. So again this will depend on the employer and type of employment.

3. In respect of the caution would would have to furnish the US embassy with the require documentation asked for to confirm your caution. You should state as much details about your caution as possible. Please see the following link for further detail:

http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/add_crime.html

The embassy will then review the caution and provide you with a decision, as you can appreciate each case is determined on its own merits.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, just one further question, do you know what other countries a caution like this may be an issue?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

I think that every country will need to be made aware of the caution, but some countries in the EU may be lenient regarding the caution, but countries like the US may be must harsher. It all depends on how strict a country wants to be, but I can confirm that you need to disclose this if asked my an immigration officer.

You should check with each embassy prior to travel whether they require you to submit an application for or you are able to travel without the need for prior approval. You do not want to be in a situation that you arrive to a country and when you disclose the caution they refuse you entry.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.