12826847

My wife and I own two cars and my name is XXXXX XXXXX reg. certificates.

Customer Question

My wife and I own two cars and my name is XXXXX XXXXX reg. certificates. Both cars are insured separately and we are both listed as drivers of each vehicle.

Sadly my wife hit the other car which we own and our insurer - Alianz via RAC - refused compensation on the grounds that "You cannot claim against yourself". But surely we are claiming against our Insurer. It seems that they are refusing the claim on the grounds that it happens to be my name on both Registration Certificates which is quite coincidental. We have a joint bank account and we don't have "his" or "her" cars. They are owned jointly and we each use either of them as is convenient.

David Way

Surely they should pay for the repairs.

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this. Are both registered with the same insurer?

JACUSTOMER-ozac09ry- :

Yes

I have converted this to Q and A because I couldn't see your response.

If you give me 10 mins I will type out an answer.
If both cars are insured fully comprehensive there is no reason at all why this damage should not be paid for by the insurance company.

I cannot see any difference between one car hitting the other and the one car running into a wall.

If you run the car into a wall and it is fully comprehensive, the insurance company will pay up.

It is third party fire and theft or third party only, the situation is completely different and it will not pay out either if the car goes into a wall or it one car goes into the other.

If the insurance company steadfastly refuse to pay then what you are going to have to do is refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman for the Ombudsman to rule upon.