UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My mother-in-law took her 22ctrl gold wedding ring to a jewellers

My mother-in-law took her 22ctrl gold wedding ring to a jewellers to be resized after her husband passed away recently. It was to be made larger. They told her it would take two weeks as a piece of 22ctrl gold would have to be ordered to make ring larger. Apparently the size wasn't sent with ring but they altered it anyway not informing her. On its return it was to small and two different colours and no hallmark,looking like they had put 9ctrl gold in and misshapen. When my mother-in-law wasn't happy he sed he could put it right in a few hrs ????? She queried this so he sed to leave it with him and he would sort it. Today he rang her and said there is nothing he can do so.it's at.shop when she wants to pick up. Oh and he wanted money up front in full which she stupidly paid. She wants to take further could she ???? .
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

This is totally against the Supply of Goods and Services Act. Your mother should report the person to Trading Standards and also ask for her money back and for the ring to be put back to what it was originally.

If he doesn't refund her money, she may lodge a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Hope this helps