UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I have just completed a 3yr degree course. I received a

Customer Question

Hi, I have just completed a 3yr degree course. I received a grant for the duration of the course. However the Student Finance England say that they paid me one year 'by mistake' and they want the money back. The reason they say is because I did HNC in Business Studies 34 years ago and used up two years of my allowance. As Student finance did not exist at that time my company paid for my studies. I believe their reason is 'beyond the bounds of reason'. They have now passed my case to a finance company for retrieval of the money. I am 72 years of age and i don't know what to do. I have already contacted my MP who was not much help.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it does sound very absurd that they should be chasing you for this money but I am afraid that the rules state that if you have done a higher education course before, even if self funded, then you would not be eligible for funding.

As they are the ones who made the mistake, they should write off the 1 year finance but it seems that they are bent on pursuing you for it. You may try and arrange with them to pay the money back in instalments.

If you refuse, they would need to take you to court to try and recover their money.

I am sorry if this is not good news but I can only advise you on the law.