29905560

How long are companies entitled to keep a copy of recorded

Customer Question

How long are companies entitled to keep a copy of recorded telephone calls? Am I entitled to ask for a copy of the call between myself and a telephone sales adviser?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

The law does not stipulate a specific period for the retention of such records – as this will amount to personal data, the storage requirements must only be as long as it is reasonably required for the purpose for which the data was obtained. For example, if the recording was made for quality monitoring, once that purpose has been satisfied then these records must be deleted. So it really depends on the reasons for the recording - it would be weeks or it could be years.

As personal data you have the right to be given access to this if needed. You may do so under a ‘subject access request’ in accordance with the Data Protection Act. However, it does not specify if you are to be given access to the actual recording or just the transcript. If the transcript is an accurate depiction of what was said, that could be sufficient. In the event of a dispute you can request to be given access to the recording but if the company continues to refuse you can’t exactly force them to and have to consider taking this further, such as making a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer:

Thank You. This has answered my question at the moment. I will have to wait to see what the transcript says before I can take tis matter any further.

Customer:

I am unable to rate the service as each time I try to light up the good service it states your expert has not finished answering. After you have received an answer you can submit rating.

Ben Jones : Hi, sorry about that, was not sure if you had finished or needed further advice. You can rate now if you wish to, many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Ben. I do not require any further help at the moment. The .problem I asked a question about has now been resolved. I did rate your service as good.

Regards,

Jenny Jarvis

Hi, thank you and all the best