Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have recently moved into a show home that was fully furnished.

Customer Question

I have recently moved into a show home that was fully furnished. After 12 weeks the sofa has collapsed in one area. I have informed the developer but they say that the house was "sold as seen". I do not feel that the furniture is fit for purpose. Although I have just moved into the brandnew showhouse it has been standing for three years. Please advise
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid to say that, as with all house purchases, it is a case of "caveat emptor" (Let the Buyer beware) in that you do indeed take the property and its contents in their existing condition.

You will of course have the benefit of any 10 year Builder's warranty for the structure and any guaranteed there may be for any white goods (although these may have expired), but when it comes to the furniture, there is no onus on the Developer to put any defects right.
Unfortunately, the phrase "fit for purpose" applies to the Sale of Goods (in shops etc) and does not apply when purchasing a property.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards
AL

Can I be of any more assistance?

Kind Regards
AL