75100385

I want to claim expenses following an accident, and need to

Customer Question

I want to claim expenses following an accident, and need to know what can be claimed.

Our car was hit while parked. The other party's insurance company accepted liability and is covering the costs of repair.

I need to claim time lost from work, inconvenience, etc.

What are the things which are commonly claimed in this scenario?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You can only claim loss of wages if you suffered that.

Alex Watts :

You can not claim for inconvenience etc

Alex Watts :

You can only claim for actual costs incurred as a result of this

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

I lost wages as I had to take time off work to deal with the car. There were time/fuel costs bringing the car to repair center. I had to make many phonecalls to deal with it. There were times I was without a car when I needed it. Can you let me know what kind of claims along these lines are accepted by car insurance companies?

Alex Watts :

You can claim loss of earnings if you did not get paid. You can claim 45p a mile for travel,

Alex Watts :

You can not claim inconvenience etc as the Court does not recognise this part of a claim

Alex Watts :

Just because you were without a car, does not mean you can claim for that, unless you hired an alternative car.

Alex Watts :

Does tat clarify for you?

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

How about phonecalls?

Alex Watts :

No - that is part of litigation.

Alex Watts :

Unless can itemise the actual calls on a bill

JACUSTOMER-5rrzheyw- :

OK. Thanks for your help.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Alex Watts :

Please take a moment to leave feedback before you go today