UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My mother died in Dec 2013 - she lived in Oxford but had been

Customer Question

My mother died in Dec 2013 - she lived in Oxford but had been in a nursing home in Buckinghamshire for her last 7 years. I know she wrote a will many years ago but presume all her money was swallowed up by nursing home fees. How do I start to find out
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Have you checked with any of the family?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Has been a family feud for many years as my mother stated many years ago that she had left everything to our youngest brother - she said we would find out why when her will was read! As I doubt there is any money left - that's not the issue just want some answers as to why she choose him over her other four children

Normally the Will is only given to executors.

I would suggest that you try Certainty, the National Will Register: http://www.certainty.co.uk/

they will charge a fee for searching for the Will.

If she had solicitors, you may also check with them if they are able to provide you with a copy of it if they have it.

You may also apply for a standing search at the Leeds District Probate Registry as once probate is granted the Will becomes a public document: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

The standing search is valid for 6 months and costs only 6 pounds. You may continue renewing it every 6 months.

All the best