75100385

Hi, I have previous tennants who owe me £3000 and i have tried

Hi, I have previous tennants who owe me £3000 and i have tried to take them to the small claims court but they replied to the court stating that they are no nlonger living at the address I have for them. How can I track them down so i get a new address and how can I prove theya re at that address if they reply to the court again saying they are no longer there ??? many thanks for your help.
G

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

How can you issue a small claim for them to write to the Court saying they do not live there?

Customer:

I issued the claim via the online system giving the adresses I have - I received both letters (that the court sent out)returned to me - on each it was written "no longer lives here". what should I do next - is there any way i can track them down (they both claim benefits) and what if they say the same again enxt time - will I just end up going round in circles ?

Alex Watts :

I see. I assume you don't have a forwarding address?

Customer:

No. No clues either.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news then

Alex Watts :

You need to instruct a process server or private investigator.

Alex Watts :

They can trace missing people

Alex Watts :

Once you have this you can serve at the new address

Alex Watts :

If they know where they work, they can follow them home

Alex Watts :

Or you can use a tracing service.

Alex Watts :

Clearly there is a cost to this.

Alex Watts :

But sadly that is all you can do.

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

I am sorry that this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Customer:

If I find them is there a legal way for me to prove they are at this address ? I'm cncernef them might just reply to the court stating "no longer at this address ".

Alex Watts :

Yes you can personally serve the claim form either yourself or using a process server.

Alex Watts :

This is how it can be served

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer:

Last question - would you recommend I take photos of them at an address & when papers are served ?

Alex Watts : If you use a process server then no need. But if you do it yourself you only need tell the court and fill in a certificate of service.