12826847

Hi I have been charged for fleeing from a taxi under the

I have been charged for fleeing from a taxi under the theft act and im up in the magistrates on Friday. I am a first time offender and I am wondering what to expect and what the outcome may be.

Can you please advise?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you deny the offence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have denied it as I agreed and paid the fare before we even moved off.

Things got a bit heated outside my house when he asked for the fare again. I got fed up arguing and went inside.

I woke up sometime later with the police at my door. The taxi driver has alleged I changed my clothes during this time but I have 3 witnesses and alot of CCTV to back me up on that one.

The thing that's concerning me is I was quite drunk and confused when being awakened by the police and probably didn't answer they're questions very well.

They gave me an opportunity to pay and I refused on principal and had to spend a night in the cells. Im worried that as I didn't answer the polices questions very well it might've come across as evasive at the time.

Obviously I haven't heard your interview or seen your replies to caution but they are something that will be considered.

Obviously though if you did pay then you didn't make off without payment.

I don't know what the relevance of you changing your clothes is unless he is trying to suggest that you were wearing a disguise.

From your point of view, if you can show he is wrong on that point then that will weaken the rest of his evidence.

If you are convicted then you will be fined or given a conditional discharge. Making off without payment of a sum less than £200 is the very lowest point in the sentencing guidelines.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.