How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Buachaill Your Own Question

Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10110
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Hello, I contacted solicitors two months ago to start a case

Customer Question

I contacted solicitors two months ago to start a case for the custody of my daughter.
I paid them immediately the whole amount the asked.
At present they still are saying that they are not ready with the claim and they are still writing it.
Is that normal? I mean how much time it usually takes to write the claim ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset, two months "writing" or drafting a claim is excessive. It should be prepared within two weeks. Accordingly, you should approach the solicitor concerned and inform them that you will want your money back and you will take your file to a different solicitor unless you get the proceedings drafted and issued within 7 days. A 7 day turnaround time is common for any efficient family law solicitor. Here I am afraid this solicitor got paid too early in the day and now does not feel s/he has to work to earn their money. So in future, keep a bit of the carrot in reserve and don't pay all your money up front, without first seeing work done!

Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10110
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I contacted the solicitors and I gave them 7 days notice.

They didn't reply anything.

Then I asked for my money back and my documents back.

They just ignored me.

Now I contacted a different lawyer to help me get my documents and money back.

I am just wondering can I ask for additional money from the first solicitors for the troubles the caused me?

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Hi Diana, Here, you should do two things. Firstly, you should get a new solicitor to write to this firm of solicitor seeking the release of your file and the return of your money. Secondly, you should make a formal complaint to the law Society in relation to the withholding of your money & your client file. This is unprofessional behaviour and the law Society will discipline their memeber for their conduct here.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice