Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

Hello, I contacted solicitors two months ago to start a case

Customer Question

I contacted solicitors two months ago to start a case for the custody of my daughter.
I paid them immediately the whole amount the asked.
At present they still are saying that they are not ready with the claim and they are still writing it.
Is that normal? I mean how much time it usually takes to write the claim ?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset, two months "writing" or drafting a claim is excessive. It should be prepared within two weeks. Accordingly, you should approach the solicitor concerned and inform them that you will want your money back and you will take your file to a different solicitor unless you get the proceedings drafted and issued within 7 days. A 7 day turnaround time is common for any efficient family law solicitor. Here I am afraid this solicitor got paid too early in the day and now does not feel s/he has to work to earn their money. So in future, keep a bit of the carrot in reserve and don't pay all your money up front, without first seeing work done!

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I contacted the solicitors and I gave them 7 days notice.

They didn't reply anything.

Then I asked for my money back and my documents back.

They just ignored me.

Now I contacted a different lawyer to help me get my documents and money back.

I am just wondering can I ask for additional money from the first solicitors for the troubles the caused me?

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Hi Diana, Here, you should do two things. Firstly, you should get a new solicitor to write to this firm of solicitor seeking the release of your file and the return of your money. Secondly, you should make a formal complaint to the law Society in relation to the withholding of your money & your client file. This is unprofessional behaviour and the law Society will discipline their memeber for their conduct here.