Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Good morning ,my wife and me are down sizing and is in the

Good morning ,my wife and me are down sizing and is in the process of buying a bungalow for £310,000.00 . We are both in our late seventies and our estate is worth about £500,000.00. What are the pitfalls in purchasing the property ,Tenants in common ?
Thank you. Mike Hutt
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Are you concerned about inheritance tax or care fees or something else please?

Customer:

yes

Joshua :

Thanks. May I clarify which things you are concerned about? I have mentioned a few things above?

Customer:

Inheritance tax ,care home fees

Joshua :

many thanks. Between you and your wife, you have £650,000 as a tax-free allowance before inheritance tax is payable. As a result of the change of law several years ago, you and your wife can effectively share your respective £325,000 allowances between you making an overall allowance of £650,000 and therefore the figures you present, I cannot see this inheritance tax will be of concern to you

Customer:

Many thanks for your help, Mike Hutt

Joshua :

In respect of care fees there are a number of potential approaches you can consider however in your circumstances one of the most simple ways is to consider life interest wills as follows...

Joshua :

I note you have gone off line. Would you like to continue?