Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

can we put a protection order on my mothers ashes.they have

can we put a protection order on my mothers ashes.they have been in a wall niche for the paste 10yrs. my brother wants to take them out of the country,he pays for the niche, niether my sister nor myself want them removed from the niche nor from this country is there anything we can do
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if you recall who paid for your mothers funeral please?

Customer:

at the time my father was alive and paid for the funeral , he is now deceased , he was not my brothers paternal father.

Joshua :

Thank you. Do you know who inherited your fathers posessions - e.g. in his will?

Customer:

yes myself and my sister , my brother was not left anything in my fathers will

Joshua :

Thanks. although your mother's ashes will have extreme sentimental value, English law (cold as it may seem) treat Ashes no different to any other personal possession and make no allowances for sentimental value. Accordingly, Ashes belong to whoever paid for your mother's funeral, in this case from what you say this was your father. Accordingly, the Ashes ownership passes to his beneficiaries under the terms of your father's will and therefore will belong to one of your sister your brother at this point.

Joshua :

accordingly, your other brother has no right to claim the ashes of his own unless he's a beneficiary under your father's will. If he attempts to remove the Ashes this would amount to theft.

Customer:

ca

Joshua :

if you have concerns that he may do so, you could contemplate an injunction to prevent him from removing the Ashes but unless you have some evidence that he has intention to do so, obtaining an injunction may prove challenging

Joshua :

I just have to step into a meeting. Please come back to me with any follow up questions. your permission, I will respond to you as I finished which should be no more than 15 to 25 minutes

Customer:

thanks for the information ,can you advise if we can speak with the crematorium to inform them of this knowledge and the ashes can not be removed without mine or my sisters consent, as they informed us that because he originally paid for the niche he has the rights to the ashes.

Joshua :

So sorry about that. I am back. Just reviewing your post.

Joshua :

Absolutely. You can advise them that ownership of the ashes has passed to you and your sibling under your fathers will and that you are concerned that another party may attempt to remove the same and that they should under no circumstances be released to him.

Joshua :

Are you happy with the information I have provided to you above or is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Customer:

thats brilliant , now peace of mind, thank you for your information

Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.

Customer:

thank you

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.