13262538

During our marriage my wife built up 2 significant debts which

During our marriage my wife built up 2 significant debts which were resolved by an increase in the Mortgage in the first place and a loan tied to the mortgage in the second place. We are now getting divorced and I need to know whether these debts can be taken into account in the settlement of the house we both own. There are no children involved and we both have good incomes.
What were the funds used for?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgages
How much extra was added by these debts.
What other assets are there and how much do you each actually earn?
How long have you lived together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

House is worth £360,000 with a Mortgage of £271,000 outstanding and 17 years to run

Initial debt added £50,000 and the second added £60,000 being paid back with interest over 13 years with 10 years to run.

All household assets have been split fairly and there are no other assets.

We have been married for 14 years. I am 56 and my wife is 49. She has her own business

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have been married for 14 years. I am 56 and my wife is 49. She has her own business. The funds were used to settle debts that my wife ran up on credits cards and overdraught.

What were the monies she spent used for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She spent money on goods for herself but I am unaware of the exact details. Our accounts were set up with joint account that paid for all the household bills and mortgage. My wife had her own accounts within which the debt occurred and which I did not have sight of.

Can you say with reasonable certainty that it was not family spending
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare yes I can. All family spending was done through the joint account.
Just before I answer - does the mortgage figure you have quoted include the extra monies or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare the mortgage figure includes the first debt and the second debt is shown as an additional payment along side the actual mortgage payment but is some cured against the house. So if the house is sold the debt gets paid off. I simply want that debt set against my wife's half sphere of the pale. Hop that makes sense.
I am still a little unclear as to how much the equity actually is
Is the original part of the mortgage only £161,000 with the balance coming from the further loans?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare sorry for the confusion. So we bought the house for £310,000 as a joint mortgage. I paid a £50,000 deposit from my retirement gratuity from the RAF. A few years later my wife declared to me she had run up debts of aprox £50,000 in credit card bills and I agreed to seek and addition to the mortgage to pay off these debts with the promise from my wife to pay this amount back over a number of years in addition to the regular mortgage payments. this never happened because she was building her own business and did not have the resources. She did continue to pay the normal mortgage payments throughout. A few years later she confessed to me that she had amassed another large debt and the Bank proposed a £60,000 loan with interest over 13 years secured by the house and payable through the mortgage but shown as a separate payment. So the mortgage statement shows a mortgage repayment and the debt repayment as two separate lines. I believe that if I sell the house the loan needs to be paid off. So now the house is worth £360,000 with a mortgage of £271000 outstanding but this does not include the £60000.loan. I hope that clarity's the situation and I do appreciate your perseverance.
So if the house is sold in fact the equity will be only £30,000 is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct Clare

When deciding how the Matrimonial assets should be divided between you the court has to consider a number of factors
The fill list is on the website here
http://www.terry.co.uk/s25_matrimonial_causes_act.html
In your case where the assets are now very limited it is likely that the court will indeed take account of the large debts run up by your ex and paid for out of joint funds
However it is unlikely that the court will be happy to leave her with nothing - so a 90/10 split in your favour is likely to be the best that you can achieve
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.