12826847

I have been a member at Frinton Tennis club for 17 years and

Customer Question

I have been a member at Frinton Tennis club for 17 years and have just received a letter accusing me of indecent exposure in the public toilets and they have suspended me from the club ' I feel this is slander and Defermation of caricature do I have any legal writes how much would a letter cost from a solicitor stating if they do not let me continue playing tennis I intend to sue them for these false aligations Mrs Sarah Fulcher "[email protected] XXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My aim is to continue playing tennis at Frinton so I would like a letter from a solicitor stating that I have a case from there false allegations '' for slander and Deformation of character and if they do not let me continue to play tennis I intend to sue Mrs Sarah Fulcher how can they get away with accusing me of something I did not do .

So what is your question about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want to know if I have a case against the Tennis club Or even how much it is going to cot me for a letter from a solicitor ?

A solicitor letter is probably going to cost in the region of £100 plus VAT. Obviously it doesnt' achieve anything though unless they choose to comply.

In terms of whether you have a case, the simple answer is that you may or may not depending on the evidence.

The fact that they are only repeating what has been said to them is no defence. If they have made public an untrue allegation then that is defamation even if they were not the original source of it.

However, there are various defences open to them. The first is that the allegation is true. I do not imagine they would rely on that. They have to prove the allegation to be true which is hard to do. The second is fair comment. That is harder to knock down because all they have to show is their comments were reasonable in all the circumstances. I do not know what allegations they have received and whether they were credible or not.

This will essentially though come down to whether or not a court finds their statement was reasonable which will depend on whether a court disbelieves the original report.

Also, do bear in mind that the fact that they have written to you with this information is not defamation. You have to prove that they have repeated it to others. If its just been sent to you in a letter and nobody else then that is not information made public so not defamation. In those circumstances you may have a claim against the maker of the allegation as they complained to the tennis club and so did make it public but not the tennis club.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/