How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70105
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

is there any way to get a criminal conviction hidden or similar

Customer Question

is there any way to get a criminal conviction 'hidden' or similar so that i do not have to mention it to employers when applying for a job?

If yes then how?

I was found guilty of theft for something which i believed i had the right to repossess, and i am now in my second year at university studying mechanical engineering and looking for a work placement. I have no previous convictions and it is not my nature to commit crime. This conviction will greatly hinder my ability to find a job.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

You cannot get it removed but it will drop off even enhanced checking after 11 years from the date of conviction if were an adult at the time of the incident and 5 and a half years if you were a juvenile.

If you are only basic CRB checked then it will probably drop off after 5 years but that would depend on the sentence that you received.

You can ask DBS to remove it from your checks on the basis that it is not relevant but it would be irresponsible of me to tell you there is any realistic chance of success.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was given a 6 month suspended sentence.


How can i go about requesting the DBS to remove it?


And is there no way that i can legally not be obliged to disclose it on an application.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
If it was a suspended sentence of six months then it will be spent after 7 years if you were an adult or 3 and a half if you were a juvenile.

You just write to the Constabulary asking them to remove it using their exceptional powers but its not likely I'm afraid. You can also judicially review their decision to refuse.

If you are asked directly about convictions by an employer then you can only answer truthfully.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice