12826847

is there any way to get a criminal conviction hidden or similar

Customer Question

is there any way to get a criminal conviction 'hidden' or similar so that i do not have to mention it to employers when applying for a job?

If yes then how?

I was found guilty of theft for something which i believed i had the right to repossess, and i am now in my second year at university studying mechanical engineering and looking for a work placement. I have no previous convictions and it is not my nature to commit crime. This conviction will greatly hinder my ability to find a job.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

You cannot get it removed but it will drop off even enhanced checking after 11 years from the date of conviction if were an adult at the time of the incident and 5 and a half years if you were a juvenile.

If you are only basic CRB checked then it will probably drop off after 5 years but that would depend on the sentence that you received.

You can ask DBS to remove it from your checks on the basis that it is not relevant but it would be irresponsible of me to tell you there is any realistic chance of success.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was given a 6 month suspended sentence.

How can i go about requesting the DBS to remove it?

And is there no way that i can legally not be obliged to disclose it on an application.

If it was a suspended sentence of six months then it will be spent after 7 years if you were an adult or 3 and a half if you were a juvenile.

You just write to the Constabulary asking them to remove it using their exceptional powers but its not likely I'm afraid. You can also judicially review their decision to refuse.

If you are asked directly about convictions by an employer then you can only answer truthfully.