29905560

Im employee for for 2,4 years in specific hotel from W London.Yesterday

Customer Question

I'm employee for for 2,4 years in specific hotel from W London.Yesterday I've had received a call from my human resource manager which tried to expolain me(I will be redundant) the hotel will be close for refurbishment job for couple years and me like many others I have to have o look for any hotel vacancies on others sites.It is legal?and what compensations I 'm entitled too?(if will be any)Which is your advice ? which are the next steps for me?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Do you know if there are other hotels with the same employer that you may be interested in?

JACUSTOMER-gozi74m8- :

I think they have couple more hotels but is not sure if any vacancies is coming up

Ben Jones :

and when exactly did you start there?

JACUSTOMER-gozi74m8- :

18 Nov 2011

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

If the hotel you are working in is closing down then that will most likely amount to a redundancy situation. This means that the employer will have to try and find you some suitable alternative employment in order to try and avoid redundancy, or of none exists – they will probably have to proceed with making you redundant.

For example, if there are other hotels in the group that can offer you a similar and suitable job, you would be expected to consider it and can only reject it if it is not suitable. If it is suitable, then you would take it up, continue working in that job and would not be made redundant.

However, if no suitable vacancies exist, you can expect redundancy. You will then be paid the following:

• At least the statutory redundancy payment you are entitled to
  • Your contractual notice period
  • Any holidays you are still due
JACUSTOMER-gozi74m8- :

So,if I understood exactly I will be paid just my 30 days notice period plus a few days holiday?

Ben Jones :

and redundancy pay

JACUSTOMER-gozi74m8- :

I undestood I will be entitled after more than 2 years employment for at least 6 months wages,is true or not?

JACUSTOMER-gozi74m8- :

what mean redundacy pay?which is the amount?

Ben Jones :

No, you are entitled at least to the minimum statutory redundancy payment, which you can calculate here:

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

If your contract allows you for more then it will be that, but if there is no mention in there for anything extra then it is just the above redundancy payment

Ben Jones :

There is nothing in law that says you get 6 months pay

JACUSTOMER-gozi74m8- :

ok,in my contract is not mention nothing about that situation.

Ben Jones :

ok so then it is just the minimum redundancy as per the link above

Ben Jones :

on top of the notice period and the holidays

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks