UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am married 13 years, lived together, on and off for 20 years,

Customer Question

I am married 13 years, lived together, on and off for 20 years, no children at home. I owned the home before we got together 20 years ago, I have never had a mortgage. My husband has only ever contributed towards 'some' of the utility bills, I have maintained the house solely myself by agreement. When we married I offered for him to come onto the deeds and own the house 50/50 but he refused as he said the house should be my daughters. We have now seperated,no one else involved, he chose to move out and he is living on a barge (large one he owns himself and has done up over the years). We have been apart 6 months this time. QUESTION: If he wanted to come back to the house to live, can he or can I refuse him. He has only a small amount of items stored in the garage now.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You may refuse him if you wish to as he is not named on the deeds. You should give him back his belongings if he wants them back.

Hope this answers your question.
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After looking on other sites it appears this information may not be correct, can you quote the the actual part of legislation that states this please

He may have a financial interest in the house but because he has already moved out voluntarily, you may refuse him entry back into the house, unless he obtains a court order allowing him to live there.

Hope this clarifies.
Thank you for your question. My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that he has an absolute right to return to live in the Matrimonial Home whenever he wishes - this right ends on the granting of Decree Absolute
I am sorry, I thought that the marriage was over. If you are still legally married, then I am afraid he has matrimonial home rights to live in your property until the marriage is over or in the event that you pass on.

Hope this clarifies.