UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Im was a 20/% shere holder in a limited company the shires

I'm was a 20/% shere holder in a limited company the shires where sold to my mother in 2012 . Im no longer a director the remaining 4 directors are after the shers in the company what are my options thay are offering to buy them at very little value . Or thay say that thay can devalue the shers can you give me advice . I dont really won't to sell the shers as the value is going to increase with development in time

Thanks Jeff
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You cannot be forced to sell the shares against your will.

If they try and dilute your stake, then you may claim minority oppression and take the matter to court. If they issue more shares, they would also have to offer you your pro rata share to take up along with them on the same terms as them.

You may need to appoint a solicitor if they continue to oppress you. Directors have certain duties under the Companies Act which they may be in breach of from what you say.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply what is ment by
Minorriry oppression Thanks Jeff
as you have 20% shareholding you are a minority shareholder (less than 50%). Oppress means to be unjust to someone.

e.g. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareholder_oppression