29905560

HI A CHAP SHOWED AN OLD FILM WHICH HAD FOOTAGE OF MY GRANDFATHER

Customer Question

HI A CHAP SHOWED AN OLD FILM WHICH HAD FOOTAGE OF MY GRANDFATHER AND MY BROTHER WHO DIED 40 YEARS AGO AND HE WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO BUY A COPY AS HE SAID HE HAS A COPYRIGHT IS THERE ANY WAY I COULD GET THE FOOTAGE THANK YOU

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Who made the footage?

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

i dont know some chap made it privatly

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

and he showed it to some people at a small church for a friend of his

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

are you stiil there?

Ben Jones :

There is unfortunately no legal way for you to obtain the footage if the person who made it or owns it does not wish to provide you with a copy. It is true that the person who made the footage will hold copyright over it and they will have the power to decide how to use it and who will have access to it. It means that if they do not want you to have a copy they can do so, even if the people in the footage are your relatives.

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

well that doesent seem right

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

i dont want to sell it just for myself

Ben Jones :

but I am afraid it is the law - you can't claim any ownership or access to something which involves footage of other people, no matter how close you are to them

Ben Jones :

if it was footage of you, then it would be different but this is not the case

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

well thank you but that doesent help me

Ben Jones :

ok but I cannot make up a law that does not exist just to help you - the law is the law whether you like it or not I'm afraid

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

well its a stupid law bye

Ben Jones :

ok but don't blame me just because I am telling you what it is, write to your MP if you want to change it

JACUSTOMER-vilfvflv- :

thank you for being so understanding!!

Ben Jones :

I am sorry but this is not about being understanding or not - I have to tell you the law as it stands, whether you would like it to be different or not, but then you go and 'shoot the messenger' because it is not the answer you would have liked. I am sorry that it is not what you would have expected the law to be but there is absolutely nothing I can do to change that