Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

hello i was looking for advice on how to deal with a garage

Customer Question

hello

i was looking for advice on how to deal with a garage , I put mr car in for a repair before Christmas and the garage told me it needed more work. and I had to rebook it for the 27th of January, it has been there ever since, it went in for track rod ends, cv boot,and the wheel to be shimed over as the tyre was wearing, the garage called me on the Monday 28th to inform me the lower pulley casing was cracked and needed repaired,another £360. I gave the go ahead and the next day Tuesday 28th I got a call again the mechanic had broken the bolt holding the casing and the engine now had to come out to repair the bolt £950 which I have been told I have to pay for? I called them the following Monday 3rd and the engine was out and away ,no contact from them until I called on the 10th of feb , iwas told car would be ready for that weekend, I called again Monday 17th feb and told the engine was back and the mechanics were putting it back together I have heard nothing since
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

do you know why they feel it is appropriate to ask you to pay for repairs are required as a result of mechanic breaking something on your car please - a bolt you mention?

Joshua :

do you have evidence that the Mechanic broke this bolt you refer to?

Customer:

the garage manager , owner called and told me the mechanic broke it ,when trying to remove it , he was very quick to mention the mechanic never had any type of bar on the wrench, which I never even thought to question, I work in an engineering firm and if we break a customers equipment we have to repair free ,

Joshua :

Quite.

Customer:

could you please advise if there is anything I can do ,

Joshua :

from what you say, if the garage mechanic broke something to to his mistake or negligence of some kind, you are not liable for any costs of rectifying the damage caused. From what you say, you may wish to consider contacting the garage ideally by email or failing which fax or letter so that your two indications in writing advising that you were informed that there mechanic has broken a bolt on your car as a consequence there are a further £950 worth of repairs to carry out and you expect the garage to be responsible for making these repairs at their cost asking them to confirm back to you by return. You may wish to confirm if you wish that you did authorise the other repairs and itemise them together with the cost you were advised they would be. it is important to keep a copy of your correspondence in the event of any future dispute

Joshua :

if you find a garage confirm back to you that they will bear the cost of the repairs as a consequence of the mechanic breaking your car then this would seem to settle the matter however if they attempt to charge you then you will need to consider whether to pay what they demand under protest in order to obtain your car back as garages are entitled to hold a lien over a vehicle until the account is paid in full

Customer:

thank you will try as advised,